Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summertime...

and the livin' is...

Easy:  yes, there are no more morning carpools involving the passing of booster seats - no more babysitting of extra 6-yr olds after kindergarten - no more PTA meetings - no more nagging my children to complete their homework before they start to read - no more dance classes and baseball games to run to - 

Not so easy after all:  now begins the days of scout camps, friends until I want to choke someone, and late nights...

Lazy:  okay, today being the first day I stayed in bed 'til 8:00... I don't think that will last.  

Messy:  even though they aren't packing lunches in the morning they've already made a mess of the house just because they know they have all day to play and so we must get out everything we own and decide which is first up!

Expensive:  between lunches and the prizes we give for reading, in addition to the occasional cheap movie we will run to see, and not even figuring in the gas prices - this summer is going to be a budgeter's nightmare.

Disorganized:  hopefully this will change, I need more ideas for things to do with the kids... should I give each week a theme?  Plan more park days?  I'm up for ideas here folks - what do you do with your kids to keep them entertained during the long hot days?


4 comments:

Megz said...

I'm wondering the same thing. I have all these grand ideas of field trips and science projects, but doesn't it always seem to fizzle out after a few days and we just get busy with other things? But we do have our baseball season just starting and swimming lessons next week, so we might not be as pent up as you yet. Let me know your weekly themes so I can copy!

cold cocoa said...

I'm going to have Anika do a preschool with Isabelle and Olivia. That might just be fun for them for two days though. I know we'll probably head to Michael's for tons of craft supplies.

LC said...

I woke up to find several hand-written invitations on the table: "You are invited to a nail panting party" Where: Kate's house.
Date and Time were left blank thankfully. I'll have to send her to your house so she can work up some of her other ideas: camping in the backyard with a bonfire (yikes--fire codes), Barbie party, Make-up party.

When we're not partying we will be doing some summer school: We have some History and Art lessons to finish.

Sherie Christensen said...

I usually have big organized plans that never work. I decided to skip the big organized plans and just wing it. Of course, some things are scheduled already anyhow. For example we have lots of ball games to attend (ours aren't over) swimming lessons (next week too) and every weekend is already about booked. It's amazing how fast things can fill up. Maybe that's why my plans never worked -- it had nothing to do with them being too grand, too complicated, and run by someone who was too tired.