Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Who me, a control freak?

I spent many years as a "boy mom" - it was easy...  no hair to do, no princess dress up cluttering the floor, no naked barbies...  I was IN my element!  

and then...  came the girls - suddenly I had little people who wanted to help me cook, help me scrapbook, and *GASP* help me decorate cakes...

I can deal with a little help in the kitchen - but it would be best if they confine themselves to helping by putting away silverware (in the RIGHT slots) and maybe washing the dishes...  I might even let them mix some batter or something - and I'm working on this.

Help with scrapbooks...  forget it, I just bought them their own and I'll give them the hideous photos (which are plentiful).

Help with decorating cakes?  Ummm... can I DO that?  I don't think so...  

But... it IS her birthday...

and I AM kinda busy...

"but I had such great PLANS for this my little pony cake - it was going to be Adorable with a capital A..."

But... it IS her birthday...

and she just wanted to decorate one little cake...
So happy birthday M - but just for the record - I AM going to make the party cake MY way...  because it won't be your special day anymore!!!

Confidential to Shelle:  I promise I will not let her help when it comes time for Peeps cake :)

10 comments:

Barbaloot said...

That's how my mom was---a bunch of boys and then me. She never did figure out how to do my hair...

lori said...

she is so proud of her accomplishment! (and if it makes you feel any better My youngest said, that's my friend and her birthday cake, so it obviously passes for the 4 yr old group)

Anonymous said...

What is the opposite of a control freak? 'Cause that is what I am. I love letting my kids make their own messes, including but not limited to birthday cake decorating, bedroom wall painting (rollers, paint brushes, and all), and yes, their hair. But I have the opposite situation -- four girls and no boys means I can handle indoor messes, but it's the OUTSIDE messes I can't handle! Dirt, bugs, worms, mud....an occasional black eye, even. Nope. I would definitely freak out over that kind of stuff!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

You're funny...I have every faith in you Cake Decorating abilities!!!

Such a cute daughter...and my SON is actually the one that wants to help me cook everything!

Should I be worried? lol!

Ash said...

So cute! The cake and the birthday girl.

My Oldest (6-year-old son) is my little baker man. He had a blast with the blue sprinkles the other day - the cupcakes, the counter, the floor.

I had to bite my tongue. I hear ya!

Heather B said...

Way to go, M! And way to go mom for letting her do it her way! And yes, girls are waaaaaay different than boys. waaaaaaaaayyyy different.

April said...

When my youngest was 7, I asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday. He said he wanted me to buy it not make it. Those are my baking skills!!!

Megz said...

M and I have the same style of decorating. Plop the pony in and you have a My Little Pony cake.
Happy Birthday! I can't believe she's 5....Ethan will have his turn in a few weeks.

LBBlum said...

I am proud of you!
My mom let us decorate our own cakes each year- and mine usually was some shade of grey in the end- because I had mixed all the colors so much.

This very well could be one of your daughters precious memories when she is older... "the birthday I got to decorate my own cake!"

My 6 year old last year asked if he could have doughnuts instead or a cake. So I bought a bunch and made a pyramid then placed the candles around and up and down the sides- he loved it.

It's hard to let go... but.. you did! So proud of you!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha ha Oh how cute. I totally hear you!