Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Speaking of Beds...

what, you weren't speaking of  beds?  Well, it seems we always are around here... Beds this, Beds that...

No seriously - with 5 growing children who have wreaked havoc on our joints with their climbing and their mere gestation...  beds are a serious subject.  Kids' Beds - they need 'em...  we've managed to provide them.  Guest Beds...  we have to have one because it seems we always have guests at least 12 times a year.  Our Bed... the ultimate quandry...   We even invested in a fancy shmancy dial the firmness number you prefer on your own side of the bed and all we've found out is that your "sleep number" (or at least MY number) doesn't stay the same for many days in a row.

At the end of the day I think the average person is just about thrilled to be going toward their bed with the expectation of a good nights' sleep.  So why don't I?  What is it about me that makes me terrified of crawling into that bed?  Okay, Okay - I know - a good portion of it is the vertigo issues...  so dizzy sometimes I want to hurl at the very THOUGHT of laying down.  But on an average non-vertigo day... why can't I just relax?

Perhaps there is just too much going on in that brain of mine?  Did I respond to all of my e-mail, have I written a blog post this week, what's for dinner tomorrow, is the kids' scouting stuff ready, have I packed for that trip, HOW many weeks until I go back to school/work, are you SURE my shoes aren't two sizes too small?

You know, stuff like that...

I am thinking that perhaps a little valium should do the trick.  Or maybe just getting the kids back in school and me back to a working day schedule instead of sitting her at lunch time in my morning workout clothes writing a blog post?

*******Bonus for all of you who kept reading - there are a few little links throughout the post... okay, admittedly they are all the SAME link - I'm predictable like that.  Anywhoo...  the REASON for all those little links is a nice lady named Caitlin who is sending one of my adorable (or manly) readers a nice little gift certificate (to the tune of $60)  just for being an adorable (or manly) reader... all you need to do to qualify is click on that nifty little link (any one of them will do) and along with your regularly scheduled comment - tell me what kind of wonderful way you would spend your potential windfall!  I'll give you one entry just for a normal witty comment and one entry for your fantasy shopping trip.  Don't despair - there are LOTS of connected sites - you don't HAVE to stick to bedroom type stuff on your window shopping trip!

Personally, I'm leaning toward this...

  because what girl with vertigo doesn't need another pillow on their bed!!!

FYI - ("Your" being the FTC... so maybe I mean FTFTCI?) I was in no way compensated for this... no freebies, nada - so THAT is why it won't show up on my W78342 form at tax time.  Sometimes I just like to do nice things for my adorable (and manly) readers.

and FYotherI - for all of you - the contest begins NOW and will go through Sunday at 5 p.m. (or slightly after if I don't get home from church in time to close comments)  so comment, comment, comment, send a friend over - tweet it or whatever... it won't get you extra entries or anything, but sometimes it's just nice to be nice.

The LAST FYI - shipping charges will be charged on whatever you choose - just keep that in mind while debating between that air mattress and that set of barbells.  thanks.

16 comments:

Jenny P. said...

I'm never in a hurry to get to bed. I mean, I enjoy sleeping because I know I have to do it, but if I can find a reason to stay up longer, I will.

I'd get an area rug, I think. For my bedroom.

Barbaloot said...

I LOVE going to bed. Love love love. I'm so sorry you don't get the satisfaction of getting into bed at night.

So many wonderful things---how can I choose? But I'm leaning toward the Modus Canyon Bed---cuz my room is currently headboard-less and looks sad. Course it's a little more than sixty dollars...

Barbaloot said...

Also, you should probly close the competition now. Knowing my luck, I still wouldn't win:)

Saimi said...

I must say, I love my bed as well. When talking with my husband on what I need in life three things came to mind. Him of course, my pillow and my computer! HA

But not being able to sleep is never a good thing. If I can't sleep, Heaven forbid, I take a Tylenol PM. Works great with a snoring husband.

Camille said...

How'd you know I was just talking about beds? As for mine, it's shared with 2 little girls. Kind of a habit that evolved after certain conditions that required us to share a bed when they were wee toddlers. But they keep growing! (and moving during the night) So, I'm on the same page as you. A good night's sleep... priceless!

And $60 would buy me a really nice bedding set! :)

(P.S. thanks for your kind words on my blog today. )

Homer and Queen said...

I am with you on the bed, the Valium, and the kids going back to school. Mostly the Valium.

Homer and Queen said...

I am with you on the bed, the Valium, and the kids going back to school. Mostly the Valium.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Mercy. I have vertigo just reading this.
I gotta take a deep breath.
OK.
I have struggled for EVER to find the perfect bed. Still haven't found it.
Hope you get some much needed sleep.
Valium.........go for it.

Chelsi said...

Oh, I love my bed. And, I love going to bed. The earlier, the better. But, I guess I'm weird like that. I checked out the site--would love a couple of Sealy's Springfree Latex Foam Pillows for the hubby and me. Could I possibly win something?

Lisa said...

Hey, we just go the sleep number and really like it. Maybe you're a mutant or just really, really, REALLY hard to satisfy. Just sayin'. Not judging. :) Hope your vertigo subsides. That's a lousy thing to deal with all the time. Maybe you could grow some bat parts and hang from a tree? Worth a try.

Cheeseboy said...

Here is my regularly scheduled comment and here is what I would buy:

CoCaLo Baby Buttons Lamp Base and Shade

My fingers are crossed.

See Mom Smile said...

So sorry you don't love your bed. I LOVE mine. In fact I'm there right now!

I love that pillow! I would love some pretty red pillows for my living room:) Okay? Thanks.

Julie said...

I am having a bit of insomnia so I wish I could sleep!

I would have to have a couple of these:Greenland Home Fashions Antique Chic Throw Beautiful!
womandriver@centurylink.net

Cluttered Brain said...

Hmm... i am actually doing some BED shopping..so this might help...
but you said this was for your MANly readers..so this is my husband's comment:
I really need a better bed! Please. If I can win a gift certificate, my back might feel a WHOLE TON better."

There. There is your comment from my man.

And WHEW! Do you breathe when you blog? I'm suddenly tired from reading your blog.
SHOWER and DR. PEPPER time!!
Woo-hoo! (not neccessarily in that order)

Jen T said...

I need a canopy bed, not want but need. There is a difference. so sorry you can't sleep well. Going to bed is one of my favorite things!!! I need sleep, not want but need. See a pattern here?

Heather Johnson-Family Volley said...

I love sleeping, but don't do it nearly enough. My husband is 6'4, so right now when we talk about beds, we talk about how we need a king size instead of our queen.

SO many choices on CSN. I would love a new cake stand for starters, and some new glasses for the kitchen.
blog.familyvolley at gmail.com