Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little Purple Pansies in my garden grow... a.k.a. Why I don't have a gardening blog

When I was little a friend actually thought that song said "Little purple Panties"...  which is all well and good until you get to the part about being "touched with yellow gold"...

Yeah - that resulted in a little teasing...  which I'm sure I never participated in.

Oh, yeah - and I know this isn't a pansy...  but I didn't have any tip of the tongue songs about Iris... 

Don't faint...  apparently I DO have a domestic bone in my body... these are in my very own flower bed.

Also, don't give me TOO much credit - the bulbs were given by a friend's mother and all I did was pop them into the ground and make sure they stayed watered...  luckily they each had enough foliage (that's the leafy stuff right?) remaining that I managed to not plant them upside down...

and maybe this year I'll add a little dirt...  are the bulbs supposed to look like they're trying to escape my garden?  is it THAT rotten of a place to be planted?

There are currently about 100 of these bad boys in my back yard - but the full scale picture is just so stunning that it might be considered bragging :)

or maybe I'm just too flippin' lazy to go and find the camera cord to load up that stunning photo...

whichever.

10 comments:

Saimi said...

That's my kind of gardening! I'm a no fuss gardener, it has to be hardy and able to grown on it's own. Once it's planted in the ground, the plant has to care for its self..it's a do or die situation and I've found Iris's don't die!

I'd love to see your flowers!

Megz said...

It's true that you must ask yourself 'how is it that I got these for free?' Yes, because they multiply like rabbits. We have some rebels growing under our trampoline right now.

Kristina P. said...

I bought some flower boxes a couple of months ago, and have been waiting to get something to put in it, but with all this damn snow, and Mother Nature trying to get back at me, haven't purchased anything yet.

Barbaloot said...

That song reminds me of my grandma. I can still hear her voice singing it when I hear the melody. The iris is pretty. I currently have zero flowers in my yard:)

Sherie Christensen said...

I'm greedy and want to see all of your pretty iris flowers -- which do try to escape the ground and crawl over to the spot next to them.

Beth Zimmerman said...

All I can grow is weeds! And I will never have a gardening, food, craft or fashion blog! :)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Get out there right now and take a picture!!!!!
I'm flower deprived and am living vicariously through you and your fabulous weather.

Chelsi said...

Love the iris! Glad to know they're doing so well. Every couple of years or so, I add some soil on top of my bulbs because they all try to escape after a while, it seems. You'd think they'd accept that they are better off in the soil.

Kazzy said...

Part of me wishes I were a fab gardener. And part of me couldn't care less.

I am jealous of your skills.

Cheeseboy said...

I had those flowers in my backyard as a kid. In the field of wildflowers behind our house they would just randomly grow. They were cool.

And that, my friend, is the only thing I could think of to comment on this post.