Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2008

This Week's Reading Adventures...


I had decided to wait awhile before picking up this book - it was released last week (and the date was in my planner) but I knew my life was a little hectic.  I had put it out of my mind and gone about my daily business... but I ran out of milk and ran to CostCo - still hadn't thought about the book, but the aisle was crowded and I decided to duck through the book area to get to the other side (still not thinking about books somehow) then... I saw it, the stacks and stacks of this book, taunting me with its eerily reflective eyeball... so, I bought it Wednesday afternoon, and finished it Thursday morning - The review you ask? all thumbs up - it was nice to read a book for once that stood on its own, the story concluded without frustrations of "what next" and though I had kind of guessed a little of the ending, there was still the complexity of how it all worked out and who, what, why, when and where....  worth the $14 and change I paid for sure!


Next up was a little something I picked up for the kids - the 3rd in a series that Trevor and Weston have both read... and of course, being the good mom I am I had to preview it in case of gratuitous violence.  Worth reading if you've read the others, a go
od series for pre-teens/teens.  No objectionable content with little life lessons tossed in along the way - I especially like the discussion questions at the end... I think I will require their being answered before the kids get credit for reading the book!

To be fair, I just started this, it's 4th in the series, another pre-teen/teen series that is harmless... as long as you don't mind a little stabbing of mythological monsters.  There is a little jealousy beginning to show in the first part of the book and I wonder if the characters are growing faster than the readers - but unless I update this with a "ugh" warning - assume I judged it safe for consumption.  

I also got the 3osomethingth book of the Magic Treehouse Series for Porter and Haven to read - those are harmless, but I can't bring myself to preview them - there is a limit to what I will do for my children, and formulaic tripe is about it :)  (Porter is really into formulaic tripe though)


Forgot to mention - I read this one Monday - an older "apocalyptic survival" novel, well done, I think if he were to re-write it today it would end up being 3 or 4 books...  part of me is glad he wrote it a long time ago!

6 comments:

cold cocoa said...

What's that Host book about? Not about vampires I hope? Could you lend it to me?

TisforTonya said...

a friend has it right now... I'll see if she's done before I come up next - it's about an alien species that invades host bodies, but in this instance the human conscience refuses to go quietly and you end up with a love triangle involving only two bodies...

Sherie Christensen said...

A love triangle with two bodies? Hmm. I generally do not like the creepy alien species that take over human bodies -- though it's good to hear that at least some part of the human doesn't give up on this one.

LC said...

Is this one going to freak me out when I'm at home alone at night? Wait, I never am home alone at night or any other time of day.
Maybe I should add to my 100 list--reading a book in 1 day. I can't imagine doing that--I'm ADHD and can't read too long without falling asleep or getting distracted.

Megz said...

My friend read The Host quickly too, but she said some people 'sobbed' while reading. I don't do sob. I just want Meyer's royalty checks.

TisforTonya said...

hubby would prefer that I NOT read my books so quickly, but hey, where else can you get pure entertainment for $1 an hour? He hates it when something new comes out because he knows dinner will be something quick and easy and the house is likely to look more cluttered than usual :)

Hmmm... I never sobbed through the Host, I'm not much for sobbing with fiction (HP7 excluded here).