Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

While You Were Out...

It's amazing how little can get done around the house in a 72 hour period... especially when the man of the house is out galavanting with his brothers.  I made sure to get in a few pampering hours prior to his departure though - I owed a friend a pedicure for her birthday, so we went off to enjoy the newest beauty college (there's 4 here now) and see what they could do for us...  

Next year, when those boys are off galavanting, I propose everyone comes down here right before they take off, or when they return - and we'll make a spa day of it... this place was quite nice, they even stamped little stars on our dark blue toes for the upcoming holiday season... of course, it's not too likely the polish will last that long with the kind of life I lead, but I have photographic proof that they looked stunning for at least the 2 hours of pedicure... that's right folks, a two hour pedicure...  they brought us water (diet coke was offered, but the incredibly opinionated aesthetician and I convinced my fellow pamperees that we were trying to be healthy)

On Thursday - with no man to please - I spent the day working on the scrapbook - ordered in a pizza for lunch and basically just did nothing the whole day except let the kids run roughshod over the house and enjoy themselves...  By the evening this guilt was eating me alive and I did help them make some sandwiches and we invited H's friend over for their very first "late night"...    These two little 6 year olds were up until after 11:00 and fully enjoyed themselves watching Enchanted, eating popcorn, and playing SingStar (a karaoke game).

The next day - despite being dog tired - I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off to find a bunch of similarly hued green shirts for an upcoming reunion (my side of the family... don't worry that you're missing something)  I also let the guilt get to me and cleaned the house - realizing happily that quickie meals have the added advantage of not leaving behind lots of dishes!  Of course, not letting the real life responsibilities bog me down too long, I invited a friend over to finish up the scrapbook chore that we'd begun the day before - so for the 7-11pm hours I did that - then had to run and buy milk before the kids woke up (T was up and actively babysitting, I didn't just leave them to the wolves!)  I learned something interesting though - as we all tried to check out at midnight - alcohol purchases cannot go through after 12:00 at Albertsons - the checker kind of laughed at me when that shocked me - like I was supposed to know that somehow...  and I wasn't sure exactly if I was enabling someone else's bad habit by letting the guy with the case of Heineken behind me go ahead in order to be done by midnight.  Honestly - I felt really stupid because I initially indicated that he should go ahead, but then had to wonder if Heineken was actually alcohol - or just one of those mixers... obviously I am lacking some knowledge here... but I will be just fine without it!  When I returned home at 12:15 I finished up the lovely card that we made for Father's Day (because aside from T, the kids had been no help at all)

So... this morning at 3:30 (I also read and spent some quality time scratching my ever so itchy back, oh - and I think I checked some of the Sisters blogs) I finally got into bed...  with M - since she thinks Dad's pillow will be lonely without her.

Unfortunately, I am now dead on my feet and preparing to go and buy church pants for T since he is quickly outgrowing his...  

Will those camping men really come home and expect to be pampered for Father's Day...  or did the trip count as a gift?  Too bad our stake conference is this weekend - not much chance for us to have a quiet breakfast in bed!


4 comments:

Megz said...

I wondered when I saw that early a.m. time on your comment....Dang. Everybody is partying way hard. I did go to my soccer game this morning and can't walk on my foot now. But that can't compete with pedicures.
I am totally thinking Father's Day happened for three days in a row now. Their breakfasts sounded better than anything I was going to make at home, so I may call it good!

LC said...

2 hr. pedicure?--I want in!
Way to have fun. I'm actually tired from having so much fun while the guys were gone-- or maybe it's more from sharing the bed with 2 little wiggly ones.
We'll be glad to have Dad back!

cold cocoa said...

Sounds busy but who can feel sorry for the busy-ness when you've got your feet rubbed and tickled for 2 hours? I think some good Father's day cards from the kids and wife will be enough after the good break they got!

Sherie Christensen said...

For fun while the guys were gone I took boys to swimming lessons, Kayli to band camp, and held Dan a lot because he wasn't feeling well, and didn't sleep much for the same reason. I went to a ball game and I sure was awfully busy even if I can't think exactly with what. It wasn't a pedicure though. That's okay because I don't think I want anyone touching my feet. I'm funny that way -- though lots of people say they're great.