Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why I don't have a decorating blog

oh c'mon... you've seen 'em... maybe one of you (miss heidi) even HAS one... those blogs that talk about what crafty little souls you are - how you can grab a piece of junky looking furniture off the street before the garbage man comes - throw a little sandpaper and paint around and BOOM - shabby chic!

if I tried that... there'd be a lot more shabby than chic, that's all I can guarantee.

don't get me wrong - I like to decorate as much as the next person... maybe even more than the next person... depending on who's next  I guess.  I considered going to school to become an interior designer after all.  (somewhere between considering becoming an actress and becoming a rocket scientist) and I might even have an "eye" for these things...  or maybe not...
and some of you didn't believe I had an orange room in that poem...

I know, I know... gorgeous right?  (hey, if you think it's hideous - just keep it to yourself... if you haven't noticed I've got what we call a "fragile ego"...  you can send it to all your friends and make fun of it behind my back - as long as I never find out)

The problem?  well, with the exception of that little turkey down in the corner... the rest stays.  all - year - long.  Don't you think the Gobble sign is perfect for my kitchen?  Fine, so the gobble sign gets packed away too...

It just so happens that I love autumn and that is reflected in my orange/brown/green decor...  we painted it this way years ago and despite how nasty it looks at Easter time... and how it does NOT make a nice background for a Christmas tree...  I just love the way it looks this time of year so much that I can't seem to pick any new colors.  Or maybe I'm just old and set in my ways?  I'm just glad I didn't get stuck back when my favorite color was lavender... those were some UGLY years (hey, I was in 7th grade...  there was a lot of Ugly going around...  think legwarmers... oh wait, those are coming back???)

8 comments:

Cluttered Brain said...

Your house is decorated beautifully!
I LOVE it. Autumn colors are GORGEOUS to decorate with.

*sigh*
Have a nice Thanksgiving hun!

Megz said...

I'm pretty sure you could get away with a decorating blog. Just make sure your readers know you are not into 'seasonal' decor. Or you could just specify that you're only into autumn. There's a niche for everything, right?

Kristina P. said...

I think you have some mad decorating skills. I LOVE the pictures hanging from that ledge. Love it.

Barbaloot said...

The reason I don't have a decorating blog? I don't even own decorations. I have two nativities that I'll put up on Friday---that's the extent of anything I do throughout the year.

I like your orange room---it's a nice color of orange.

Heidi said...

I think it's absolutely gorgeous! If those are the colors that make you feel grand, than those are the ones you should live with all year long! One of my biggest frustrations in life is that I can't have at least one room done up in every style I love--the style of your home included. I would love to have a country patriotic style room that's red white and blue all year. I would love to have so many things .. .if I had a bigger house, I would. One of the reasons I'm so fussy about things is that my house is so small so it needs to be light and bright and consistent, otherwise, it would feel like a box. I used to have a hunter green and red family room with lots of plaid. How I loved it! I would like to see bigger photos of your decor--like you said, it's EXTRA nice this time of year. Hugs!

Heidi said...

Hey, I think I have that same turkey. Is it made of metal and uses food to create the wings, etc?

Living the Scream said...

I really like those colors! Cute rooms. The orange is awesome.

Sandra said...

Lady you can decorate! Now I have to carefully scrutinize each and every detail so I can steal the ideas since I dont' have a decorative bone in my body.