Yeah, go ahead - but quickly - it might be the first and last time you think that.
Some days (Sundays mostly) my kids are looking for things to do... recently we've done card games... which quickly deteriorates into card houses... which quickly takes a bad turn when a sibling-who-shall-not-be-named turns on the fan.
|yes, they cheat with the lego boards between levels... don't judge.|
Needless to say we were in need of something different. Don't ask me how it happened because I can't tell you (okay, I CAN... but it's convoluted and boring) but we ended up looking up everyone's birth dates on Wikipedia and seeing who we shared our special days with... Trust me... LOTS of fun...
Warning: be sure an adult is the one reading aloud from the Wikipedia page... because the younger ones may innocently ask if a "porn star" is anything like a "shooting star"... to which the answer, regrettably, is no. The former will not under any circumstances burn up in the atmosphere before causing harm
Actresses (and actors) of questionable moral character aside - the kids enjoyed this activity immensely - comparing who shared a birthday with the most kings... seeing who shared talents with their famous cake counterparts... and trying to outdo each other with the coolest "connections"... I'm pretty sure that in the end the kids agreed that while Popes and Kings were all well and good... and Einstein WAS pretty cool... Fred Rogers just couldn't be beat.
Cool Segue into Valentine's Day... because that's the date we looked up next... you know, that day devoted to paper hearts, chocolate candies, overpriced flowers and gluttonous sugar consumption.
|okay, technically those were our new year's treats... add some pink and you get the gist.|
a brief overview of Valentines Days in the Past:
- 1349 - About 2,000 killed - mostly burned to death - in Strasbourg
- 1929 - Seven murdered in Chicago... later to be known as the St. Valentine's Massacre
- 1945 - World War II: a mistaken bombing of Prague... "oops, wrong place guys... my bad"
- 1948 - Teller (of Penn and Teller) born... damage yet to be determined.
- 1981 - A nightclub fire in Dublin kills 48.
- 1990 - 92 people are killed while their plane attempts a landing in India.
- 1996 - Chinese rocket goes astray - crashing into a small village shortly after liftoff (6 killed, 57 injured)
- 1998 -Oil tanker/Freight train collission and a dropped cigarette leads to the death of 120.
- 2002 - Irish fishing boat sink killing a man, his son, and grandson... all named Michael Green.
- 2004 - the roof of a popular Water park in Moscow collapses - 28 dead, many injured.
- 2005 - 22 killed in a bombing targeted at a Lebanese millionaire.
- 2008 - 6 fatalities (including gunman) and 18 injuries when a gunman opens fire at an Illinois University.
(yes, I do start to think drowning my sorrows in candy and flowers is a great idea)
(yes, I was a good mom and stopped reading that to my kids...)
(yes, I am a horrible awful cynical person)
(yes, I DO realize it's probably this bad ANY day of the year... I'm not going to try to find out)
(yes, I do plan to credit Wikipedia with all my new-found and depressing knowledge)
(in fact - make me laugh... head over there and tell me who "cool" shares YOUR birthday?)
(really, can you beat Farrah Fawcett, Brent Spiner, Shakira and Pope Benedict XIII?)