Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stress Sandwich

The Bottom Piece of Bread: On Tuesday I was a basket case. Basket. Case. Really, that evening found me and my newly cut and styled hair smiling at people (like... mayor type people and that ilk) and talking up the Children's Museum project I've been working with for... well, years. Getting ready (not the hair part, I passed that off to a very nice and funny hair stylist) took all morning... and I found myself doing a little last minute laminating at the time I was supposed to arrive for set-up. oops.
It went well, though it was a tad nippy out. I can't say that it was COLD... but when our local temp goes below freezing we tend to stay indoors, wrapped in blankets, sipping hot apple cider and playing Canasta. I speak in general terms of course - because I've never played Canasta... I think it's a card game... or maybe dice?

If I thought that my readers cared about Canasta I'd look it up... but since I'm willing to bet that nobody here has much more interest in Canasta than in Shuffleboard (which, yes I DO know what is...) so you'll just be left to wonder won't you?

The Marshmallow Cream: Wednesday - well, you know about Wednesday - that's the day I not so subtly begged for well-wishes and proclamations of undying love and affection. I appreciate all the friends/family/fellow bloggers who did not disappoint. I was plenty spoiled with a brand new alarm clock that projects the time on the ceiling for when I'm too lazy to sit up to peek over ManOfTheHouse's shoulder. Oh, and a cheese slicer. Yeah... try not to container your excitement... I'm sure it's a very nice cheese slicer... ManOfTheHouse redeemed himself with a dozen roses so I'll forgive him... although it has been suggested that he receive his own useless appliance for Valentine's Day... I'm open to your recommendations on the most useless appliance of all time.

The Peanut Butter: Thursday - that's today. Well, let's just say that I probably shouldn't be spending time writing this blog post... between running to the school this morning for my "Meet the Masters" parent class* and signing up kids for soccer I am exhausted - and now it's about time to collect children and move on to the afternoon activities... which tonight include the Battle of the Bands. In addition to being my wonderful eldest child, Veggie Teen moonlights as an amazing musician. He has put down his guitar for this group though and will be on keyboards... I would ask for your sincere prayers in his behalf, but I think we've already decided that it would be hard for anyone to pray for a band called "The Aliens of Planet Rock"... but hey, if you can utter that without cracking a smile you're welcome to send whatever peace, calm and energy their way!

The Top Piece of Bread: Tomorrow? oh, not much... just sending the boys off to their Klondike (winter camping) for a little insanity - and a birthday party... and... Oh shoot... and I just remembered I need to pick up stuff for their tinfoil dinners. No worries - I've learned that a little Take 'n Bake pizza makes a perfect tinfoil dinner - fold it in half and wrap it up - Voila! Apparently eldest is supposed to leave EARLY, but we'll probably just send him up at noon with the rest of the boys... because after tonight I'm sure neither of us wants to be awake at 4 a.m. With no older boys at home I have just lost my babysitters... so no getting out for a little couples time...

and after that (surprisingly delicious but EXTREMELY unhealthy) sandwich of stress (okay, the b'day wasn't stressful, really) I was planning to collapse on the weekend...

but apparently we have two boys still at the Klondike, ManOfTheHouse and 3 kids will be spending the day with cousins a few hours away for a family baptism, and I will be at a women's conference - which will probably have a nice speaker about managing our time better. Somebody tell me not to throw anything at her 'k?

*OH! and for the record - this month we are teaching about Georgia O'Keefe and her flower paintings... apparently we're only looking at her earlier works before they got... well, a little TOO detailed... yeah... glad I get to teach the 1st graders...

15 comments:

TisforTonya said...

Oh My HECK - curiosity killed the cat I think... I looked up Canasta... I don't think I'll be playing that anytime soon...

Barbaloot said...

Never played Canasta which is almost too bad cuz it's a fun word, right? Maybe I'll rename a game I do play to that, so I can say it more often.
Get MOTH a wine cork:)
I had a pb and marshmallow creme sandwich once. It's doubtful I'll ever have one again.

Saimi said...

Roses work!!

I think I've played Canasta before, but can't remember anything about it, except it's with cards right?

I hope it didn't require taking off clothes cause I'd be in a hurt of trouble if I don't remember! HA!

Kazzy said...

Fluffernutters, as my mom called them!

Drink a big tall glass of milk and swallow that sandwich down. Things will get better. Sorry it has been rough.

Megz said...

Hey, I heard on the radio that Cutco had a run on awesome cheese slicers during the Holidays... I personally don't see the need, but I think MY hub would love one.
enjoy your sandwich. I feel worse for your Klondike boys though....

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You do need some time away. You are welcome to come to my place and I'll put you up for a couple of days. Really, I'd take care of you.

Welll.......you might have to shovel the sidewalks or something like that.

TisforTonya said...

Just got home from the Battle of the Bands - appreciating the good words of wisdom here in my comment box but SO jazzed that we'll be in Salt Lake for the state competition in March!!!

Lisa said...

You may throw something at her~I say it's okay. I remember Julie from the Love Boat used to talk about shuffle board. 'Member that? Now THOSE were some fun Saturday nights. Relaxing, too. And nobody would tell us about managing time.

Suzanne Benner said...

Actually the card game (which you have played) called Hand and Foot is a version of Canasta, just changed a tiny bit. So, you two are closer than you think. :)

Michelle said...

So glad Veggie Teen did so well. I don't like to eat stressful sandwiches so I pretend I am not busy and it works.

Sherie Christensen said...

Yeah Trevor's band! Yeah for you. Couldn't you skip women's conference and come to the baptism? There will be no talks on time management there and we'd love to see you!

LC said...

That is a mouthful of a sandwich. I hope this week you have more time to smell your roses.
And I like what Sher said.

Jen T said...

Never played Canasta, and understand the feeling of wanting to throw something at special speakers--give me a break, live my life for a day and then give me a talk about time management!

Teachinfourth said...

Mmmmm...peanut butter.

Hope things slow down a bit for you.

Cheeseboy said...

When I was a kid, the Klondike wasn't nearly as delicious as the ice cream bar it is named after.

This was the best post about Canasta by a person that has never played Canasta that I have ever read.