Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Guilt VS. Inspiration...

Yesterday was insane... I don't throw that word around lightly... it was truly and honestly one of those days that I like to be glad are over - and it is, so we won't dwell on it.  As a matter of fact, I'll skip over all the preschool/errands/orthodontist/scouts parts of it and go straight to the evening where I'm done with dinner and getting ready to relax in front of the television.

The Biggest Loser was on - and much as I like to think that I've licked my weight issues (do we ever?) I yo-yo just like the rest of the world and thus have some guilt going on when I have a snacking day...  (we're calling it a snacking day because the word "binge" is really negative!)  Yesterday was dedicated to healthful foods mostly because I didn't have time for snacks... this was good because as soon as I sat down to watch The Biggest Loser I had guilt for other reasons...  
You see, the bow-flex is less than 12 feet from the TV... but there's a very comfortable couch between them...  but seeing all of these determined individuals working out like their lives depended on it (and I guess they do) made me think I could maybe do a bit more than my 2 mile walk to the school in the mornings.  So I did - and yes my arms are a tad sore...  pushing that stroller up the hill this morning put me over the edge!

So, I have to wonder - this show... is it inspiring (guilt inducing) for everyone?  I am not a skinny stick myself but they wouldn't take me on the show... yet I watch it religiously.  Some of my size 2 friends watch the show and enjoy it immensely... so what is it that makes it so enjoyable?  I personally wish they could all stay on campus... I wish I could hang out on campus for a few days and get some good training pointers with them!  The show obviously isn't just for the highly overweight people of the world!

Since it does work so well and gets me working out... maybe they need a show about homemaker moms that blog more than they clean - competing to have a spic and span house with folded clean laundry (mine is usually clean, never folded).  THAT is the kind of inspiration I desperately need - but would anyone watch it!?

You'll be happy to know that the inspirational thrill was over before long - then I spent the next hour flipping back and forth trying to follow the story line on SVU and Without A Trace!  (and no I don't normally do that, but an old college classmate was on Without A Trace, and I love to watch him act... until he moves to Wisteria Lane at least... then he's on his own!)

7 comments:

cold cocoa said...

You have a famous acting friend? Can he get me a small part on Desperate Housewives? Ha ha...that would be fun.

I don't like Biggest Loser. I think it's a bit depressing to watch someone go through all the physical and mental work to lose weight and it not be you. Good for them, but I don't call that entertainment (or motivation) for me!

Gotta love workouts with the tv though.

TisforTonya said...

"friend" would be stretching it a bit as of course I remember him because he was quite the buzz in all the shows - but he would probably only say... "oh, weren't you Lisa's friend? and your name was..."

Sherie Christensen said...

When did you get a bow-flex? I don't remember one there. I haven't ever seen Biggest Loser so I can't tell you if it induces guilt in me. I have enough guilt without watching guilt inducing shows though. I think I'm talented at guilt.

Kollen Marchant said...

Well you are quite the witty writer i think. I enjoyed reading your blog and catching up on your family adventures or your adventures. I don't watch tv anymore so I haven't seen the biggest loser this season. I can't really exercise right now the way I'd like to not a whole lot of guilt here. Good luck. Kollen

Heather B said...

I would totally be in on your "homemaker show", except you would have to do it right; make it a percentage of clean based on number of family members to clean up after, or something like that! And AMEN to chucking all those Wisteria Lane weirdos off the air!!!! Not that I have any strong feelings about that or anything...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the biggest loser. I don't know if it inspires me since my treadmill hasn't been used in a few weeks but it gives me a sense of "if they can do it so can I!"

Natalie said...

You made me realize that my elliptical is probably feeling a bit neglected.