Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

custom license plates... how I really feel.

I'm sure you've seen them. I mean, who doesn't just want to smile when a little sporty red car pulls in front of them with the plate "DADDYSGIRL"... especially when poor Daddy is the one driving the car.

If I were to customize my own plates I have no idea what I'd put on them... mostly because "LIKELYTOSHOOTDIRTYLOOKSIFYOUCUTMEOFF" doesn't fit.

Apparently I need to put some more thought into choosing my imaginary custom plates.

Apparently so do some other drivers.

Case in point... I mean, does this mean "Liberation" or "Liberating"? either way - you were in front of me in traffic and going a full ten miles under the speed limit. not very liberating at all...(though I'm sure you are a very nice person and conscientious driver - & I was probably a horrible example to the children of earth by wanting to drive faster)

I think perhaps there needs to be a quick driving test for any custom plate orders in the future... because obviously the people at the DMV have LOTS of spare time... I mean, those lines just go so quickly... *ahem*

DMV Counter Dude: I see you'd like a custom plate sir... and you'd like it to say "SPDEMON" what's that supposed to say... spiderman?
Guy Who Has Gotten Older Waiting In Line: I was going for "speed demon"...
DMV C.D.: oh yeah... okay, I can see that... okay - well we have a little test for you, just step this way.
G.W.H.G.O.W.I.L.: a test? Ummm... I didn't study
DMV C.D.: psh, nothing to worry about, just drive our little test car around the test track and we'll be on our way.
G.W.H.G.O.W.I.L.: okay, I can do that.


and he does, very carefully following the laws of the road, because after all, these people look like they'd enjoy shredding his Driver's License into confetti for their next office party.


DMV C.D.: Very well done... let's see (tallying all the points)... it looks like you don't actually qualify for the Speed Demon plate... according to your numbers here I can only offer you this one here...

G.W.H.G.O.W.I.L.: ummm... maybe I'll just take my chances with a regular plate after all
DMV C.D.: Of course sir, that's entirely up to you - just take a number and wait in line, we'll be right with you.


images created at www.acme.com

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my "Perky" plates. I asked if I could just renew them and they said I would have to reapply because it has been too long (what? only 20+ years or so). I wonder if anyone else has that on their plates now ...

Kristina P. said...

I always feel so stupid when I have no idea what the crap one of those plates says.

TisforTonya said...

S.Q. - the examiner would definitely give you the Perky plates if it were just up to matching your personality to the plate :)

K.P. - there was a LA-HI-M plate awhile back and I remarked to the people in the car that the driver must be Jewish. They accused by of being a horrible person (I hadn't noticed it was a BMW) until I explained...

Cheeseboy said...

At first I was like "Slot Rail" maybe??

You are so right. People try and be overly clever and end up looking like a total fool.

Your fake conversation with license plate guy made me laugh.

Barbaloot said...

I kind of have a huge aversion to custom plates. They annoy me. Oddly enough, my parents cars have custom plates. I try not to let it influence how I really feel about them...

Saimi said...

The thing is, there are so many personalized plates out there that most of the common sayings are taken so they have to get creative which in turn leaves them looking ridiculous...

I suppose they can't complain when someone is tailgating, 'look mister I was just trying to figure out your plates.' STOOP-ED

Sherie Christensen said...

I thought LABR810 stood for labor in August of 2010 -- as in that's when they labored last -- or went into labor? I like trying to figure those plates out but it really isn't a gift that I have.

Living the Scream said...

I have always wanted to put random numbers and letters to make it look like one of those but actually mean nothing and have everyone just staring at it trying to figure it out lol

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Man, those plates get me so bad. I can no longer read them because the fact I can't get them irks me. Even our friends who have one? It says RT, which has NOTHING to do with their initials. How am I supposed to figure that out?

LC said...

I told my mom when I was a kid that I wanted my future vanity plate to say HOT LIPS. ??!!! Luckily I grew up before she had to talk me out of that.

Krista said...

I always wondered what I would do if I customized plates. "L8" would be a good one because it would be easy to remember and "Eat my dust" doesn't fit. We might need to work on bumper stickers. :)

Suzanne Benner said...

Wow... URAH8R. Those license plates are RELEKUL. I mean, it's like an XPENSVE opportunity for a PRIVTJK, you know? MIPRBLM is that so often people don't think them out well enough, or SETL4LS when the ideal one isn't AVLIBL. Sure, "Eat my dust" doesn't fit, but 8MIDUST does, and PSTTNSE works better NEWAY in this case, since they are BEHINDU when reading, after all.

TisforTonya said...

awesome - now I know what my plates should say... IMAH8R :)

Charlotte said...

I love custom plates. The ones that don't fit the car/driving are my favorites.

When I was a kid there was a game show involving solving license plate jargon. I even loved watching that.

Lisa said...

Have a neighbor with the last name of Rasmussen. He bought his car, and put Rass on the back. He bought his wife a car and put "herass" on the back. I know.

Jen T said...

Do people really think about these things? Or maybe the problem is they are trying to hard to think about them???