Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What I did over Spring Break - by TisforTonya

the band
the keyboard guru
the appreciative (but sound sensitive) audience
the disco cake
the cousins (and look, it's Megz!)
the birthday girl

 add to that a few incidences of getting completely lost in IKEA - many hours of driving - eating some pizza - eating some scraps of the FIRST cake I made (oops), and maybe just a teensy little bit of stress... 

who me?  stress?  I know, you're shocked.

the band did great by the way - they didn't place - but they totally should have.  That's my professional unbiased opinion at least.

speaking of professional unbiased opinions - Todd Nuke'em from X96 was the Emcee for the night and I think I saw his jaw drop off his face when Veggie Teen tore up the keyboard.  I certainly heard him say some words of amazement regarding the keys being on fire...  but I might have been too busy hooting and hollering at that point to be able to quote him directly!  A huge shout out of thanks to Megz for Sher for joining us for the fun - auntie Megz even got up there in the stage crowd and encouraged Veggie Teen to do a fist-pump or two... ish.

and a truly well-written 5 paragraph essay about my weekend adventures would conclude here with what I learned from the experience and how I'm so glad we did it all...  in all honesty - I'm sure I learned something, and I'm certainly glad we did it... but I'm just SO tired that the wrap-up paragraph might have to wait...  I think some of my motivation got left behind in IKEA... somewhere between housewares and the 5 square mile display of shelving.




19 comments:

S said...

Without hearing them, I completely agree with you that they should have placed! What were the judges thinking?

As for that cake, cute, cute, cute! Great job. You are such a good mom.

Heather B said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about your spring break week. We have a little more time until ours hits; no birthdays or IKEAs in sight, though. Rock on Veggie Teen! And good job Mom--you rock too, you know.

Kristina P. said...

I;m sure they did an amazing job. Wish I could have been there!

Sherie Christensen said...

Good summary. You did it all without looking too stressed. Way to have a poker face. Have you watched the video taped disco moves yet? Maybe you could do that to relax and unwind -- along with a nap and some non greasy food.

Go Veggie Teen!

Michelle said...

How do you get Veggie Teen to practice? Good weekend and a stress free week sounds like a natural conclusion in a fair world, right?

Barbaloot said...

Bummer that they didn't place---but sounds like they had great fans!! :)

I don't go in IKEA cuz I'm afraid I'll never get back out...

TisforTonya said...

I'm having a good laugh over the question Michelle asked - not because it's not a valid question... but because our struggle is actually getting Veggie Teen to STOP practicing for a few minutes in order to eat... or sleep...

some kids can't have phones and computers in their bedrooms... my kid can't have an instrument, he'd never do anything else :)

Charlotte said...

That sounds like fun. I love watching my kids perform. Unless it is baseball they are performing.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I'm not biased either, but they should have places for you just making the drive up there! Happy Birthday to your daughter!!! They cake was awesome! Oh and your son looks pretty kicking on the keyboard!

Megz said...

I could have told you that a trip to IKEA is never a good idea on a busy weekend. Or EVER. I do hate that place for the sheer size of it and the weird obligation to walk through the WHOLE place.

Veggie Teen is going to start needing to eat meat to maintain his awesome skills.

Sheri, RN said...

I wish there was an ikea close enough to where I live to go shopping there lol

That cake looks really cool though, I bet they all loved it! :)

TisforTonya said...

Sheri - that IKEA is actually 4 hours away from my house... but very close to the Battle of the Bands venue - if it were closer I'd be thrilled since I forgot to pick up some extra shelves and got the wrong color chair... oops!

Shell said...

much as I love IKEA, I swear it drains me every time. ;)

Jen T said...

The judges must be crazy! Understand about being tired on spring break. Ours is this week, and it is only Tuesday, and I so need a nap!

Cluttered Brain said...

ahh tonya how i miss coming to your blog every morning...i have to catch up when i can...
like I am doing now...
we must not be strangers this summer...and do another blogger day or night out...
up for some karyoke later...i havent forgotten t....lol.

Teachinfourth said...

1. Sorry I didn't make it up for the concert.

2. The cake looks fabulous.

3. Ikea is home furnishings on steroidical overload.

4. See #1.

Cheeseboy said...

I don't recognize that stage. Wondering where they are playing. Sucks they didn't place. What do they know anyway.

Still have not been to IKEA. Still not sure why I would want to.

Saimi said...

I don't know how to shop at IKEA I think I need a personal shopper..It's to big and over whelming for me..

But that band....that's a whole different story..I could totally dig rocking to their music..Like that, "totally dig" yeah I sound as old as I am!

That's quite the boy wonder you have!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Congratulations on surviving. Sounds like a very crazy time.