Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Toss the Dice Tuesday

well, to be perfectly honest I stayed up late last night because I had a hilarious post in mind...and it fell on its face.  crashed and burned...

I'm blaming it on my computer.
Because blaming it on the computer is a LOT easier on my ego than admitting that I just should have been more careful...
See, ego intact - I'm still awesome.
Awesome isn't all that funny by itself.

So I tossed my Blogger Blocks - and they would like for me to tell you a little story about the Veggie Teen and his worst Church experience...  with a drawing.  Fortunately for you - I think we're all sick of my drawings this week.

So I'm using a picture instead...  if you want the source of said picture - I think you can click on it... suffice it to say that it isn't mine...
DSC_0201
Remember that movie?
More importantly - remember the song?
Which song you ask? 
Really?
According to my kids that movie had ONE memorable song.
Everybody Wants to be a Cat.
Because... a cat's the only cat...
and all that Jazz.
When Veggie Teen was a little tyke.
REALLY little tyke.
Like... seriously we're talking Toddler-hood... 
he LOVED this song.
He would sit in his highchair and pretend to pound the piano keys and sing this song at the top of his little lungs - and we should have known then that there was musical ability in the kid because he hit all the right notes. 
No, not the notes on the highchair tray... with his voice.
We were probably smart to delay purchase of an actual piano until he stopped feeding himself with his hands and picking his nose!

We thought this little trick of his was really cute.
Until...
Church.
In each pew there are hymnbooks - kept in a teeny little box attached to the pew in front.  Apparently sometimes people are annoyed by the noise the hymnbooks make when they drop into this little box.  One such easily annoyed individual took it upon themselves to cut a thin little carpet strip to line each little box - thereby dampening this "clunk" and preserving the Spirit for all.
Of course - they never foresaw the possibility that a small child could pull out the carpet strip and magically transform it into a piano keyboard in his mind. 
Pounding away.
And singing.
Quite Loudly.
During the Sacrament prayer.  (if that confuses you - please just know that this is the most quiet and reverent part of our Sunday Service.)

As a new parent - perhaps we had not quite developed the super human speed necessary to stop him quickly.
I'm pretty sure he was well into the second verse before we managed to get to the Foyer.

Somehow I'm pretty sure that none of the members of that congregation would be shocked that this same boy is scheduled to be pounding the keys at Battle of the Bands later this Month... 

Don't worry - they're not going with "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat"...

although I'm pretty sure they'd ROCK it!

13 comments:

S said...

That is a really funny story and sweet! I can imagine the mortification as you rush to the foyer! I love it.

Michelle said...

Reverence had never been our strong suit. Veggie Teen is a very musically talented young man. He is polite and kind. What a great job you have done!

Cluttered Brain said...

bwahahaha!
T- you are funny at any time of day!
:)
No matter when you actually write the post...

Kristina P. said...

Church stories are always the best. And I've never even heard that song.

Barbaloot said...

I'm sure there were people in the congregation that were grateful for the "intermediate hymn."

Megz said...

Nice to see things come full circle. Though playing in sacrament meeting and playing in a battle of the bands might not be really the same circle....

Chels said...

Bwahaha. I love stories like that from church. There was a kid in our fast and testimony meeting on Sunday that got up and said, "I'd like to bear my testi...." then SCREAMED bloody murder and ran and jumped off off the stairs back to his parents. Probably traumatizing for him - but mildly amusing for me.

Missy said...

Poor Guy! That is so sweet!

The carpet idea is great!
I hate the clunk sound...

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Those are the best moments at church! At least for me! He'll obviously rock the battle of the bands!

Teachinfourth said...

I always need moments like these to help wake me up. I'd have loved to have been there...

Saimi said...

Never heard the song, maybe Veggie teen could sing/play it for me!!

Lisa said...

I love that show and song...most especially when it's sung during the sacrament prayer. My cousin grabbed a giant maxi pad from his mom's purse and yelled out during the prayer, "HEY! THIS IS FOR MY MOM'S BUM!" Good times at church. All the more reason to go. :)

Debbie said...

Great movie with lots of good songs - but that one is the best:)