Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why I don't have a cooking blog - how NOT to make a Pie Cake

Yesterday the geeks of the world celebrated Pi Day... you know, that whole 3.14 blah blah blah jazz...

Normally, I wouldn't call myself a geek (because normally other people would beat me to the punch) but when if we're handing out PIE? Yeah, I'll wear a neon flashing geek sign if I can have a big enough slice.

And - because we like to spend obscure holidays giving birth in our family... Pi Day also happens to be W's birthday.

To celebrate - he ate a burger the size of his head.

When he ordered the very nice waitress looked him up and down and asked whether or not he thought he could finish it. Since she'd just given him a kiddie menu and offended his newly 14 year old ego I'm pretty sure he took that as a challenge.
at this point the kids are chanting "Man Vs Food"

In a bizarre blending of the two holidays we settled on a Pie Cake... there are a LOT of ways to accomplish this - some very cute in fact... but since W LOVES chocolate cake and prefers actual pie crust to Fondant... we decided to go the "simple" route.

You know, bake a chocolate cake, ice it, and cover it with a real honest to goodness pie crust.  Made from scratch (Ahem, *cough*... okay, Jiffy mix... I was in a hurry)

Unfortunately...


yeah, we're blaming all that cracking on the candles... and pretending that I didn't stick all the candles in the already busted up crust hoping people would buy that excuse. We're also learning that in order to make a crust and move it onto a cake you should probably grease and flour the plate a little more thoroughly.

I will say however, that it was reportedly delicious...  I myself had a slice of Strawberry Rhubarb at the restaurant... chocolate just isn't my thing.


Next birthdays: First Day of Spring, April Fools' Eve (yes, we have to call it that), and Earth Day...  see, we like the obscure holidays a LOT

12 comments:

S said...

I love that cake and I personally think it is all the candles' fault for cracking it, not your baking abilities because I know you are an amazing baker/cook!

Barbaloot said...

Mmm---a burger the size of my head? I could definitely go for something like that:)

Happy Birthday (late) to W!

Chels said...

Pretty sure that's more creative than I ever would have got. I probably would have just made one of those 99 cent Banquet frozen pies. Because that's CLASSY.

Kristina P. said...

How in the world does everyone even know about Pi day? I am impressed by moms everywhere.

Megz said...

Hmm. I think I would have made a pie cake with the pie filling on top of the cake and not the pie crust part...But what do I know? I don't have a food blog either. The before picture looks neat though.

Joni_rt said...

Bobo wanted us to scream real loud at 1:59 -- cause she's geeky enough to take the decimal point out a few more places (she recited 20 to us) but by the time she was done it was 2:00 and we missed our chance to "scream real loud". But, like I told her, there's always next year.

Cheeseboy said...

If I ate that burger, there is no doubt in my mind that I would die. It would be a good death, no doubt. But I would die.

Hope he had an awesome birthday.

Saimi said...

The day my boys started eating off the big menu is the day we stopped eating out...Man those kids can chow!

But Wow, what a Birthday Burger and congratulations to the boy who has proven he can eat like a man!!

Kazzy said...

My 14-year old can eat more than my hub and I combined. Seriously, it is unreal.

Missy said...

Happy 14th Birthday to a Handsome guy!!!
The candles caused the problem with the awesome Pie!

Charlotte said...

My daughter requested pie in place of cake for her birthday last week. So we had pie twice in a week. Can't complain too much as pi day is one of our favorite holidays.

Jen T said...

You should have a cooking blog. That pie cake is awesome! And the hamburger is very impressive!