Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Happy Hikers and Second Grade Curriculum

After my morning walk of 3.5 miles I came home to a family eager to go on a lovely relaxing hike.
"Eager" might not be the word for it however... more like reluctantly cooperating for fear of their lives.  You see, I'd threatened them the night before that if I heard so much as one murmur of complaint we would be observing a strict 9:30 bedtime for the remainder of the summer.
This beautiful alcove was the final destination of the hike - absolutely gorgeous and M fully enjoyed testing the echo many many many many many many many many many times while there.

Of course, there were a few "moments" along the way that were a little less serene.

Specifically this one which shows how excited the 15 year old was to join us.
 And then there's the one that had me breaking out in a sweat... wondering just how much second grade curriculum has changed over the years... 

 I was walking nicely along (yes, IN the creek) when WHAM - I nearly trip over a frog.  At least it looked like A frog at first because I was hiking without my contacts or my glasses.  (fashion being HIGHLY important in the outdoors when I'm dripping with sweat).  Like a good and nurturing mother I called my youngest two (the girls) over to see this cute frog - and of course when they get there the conversation begins...
M- is that frog EATING another frog?
Me - ummm (finally seeing the REAL issue) - no honey, it looks like they're just doing piggy backs.  (hey,  I had no prep time... we'll discuss the birds, bees, and frogs another time okay!)

H - Mom, we learned about this in School because my teacher likes frogs

Me - (secretly hoping that we are NOT going to go THERE) oh really H?  (looking desperately at ManOfTheHouse to change the subject already!)

H - Yeah Mom - when frogs have babies...

Me -
H - They carry their babies on their backs!

Me - (quite relieved) - see M - just giving piggy-backs... okay, let's catch up with those boys!

I'm not sure which wore me out more - the conversation or the 5 miles of uphill/downhill/creek wading... but I went to bed as soon as we got home.  Thank goodness Zion National Park only has free weekend once or twice a year - I don't know if I could handle it more often!!!

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It must have been a Horny Frog.

Barbaloot said...

I'm impressed you had the presence of mind to take a picture!! I took my nieces and nephew to the park the other day and we saw somem ducks "eating" each other. Fortunately, the kids were distracted by the other ducks eating nothing but the bread they threw:)

Megz said...

Yet another reason to stay inside and watch TV this summer.
Did you tell the frogs to go get a room?
(love the picture of T enjoying his fam time!)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Oh that is classic with the frogs! That made me laugh out loud!

Charlotte said...

Moral of the story is to always wear your glasses, right? And don't have 15 year-olds (I'm good for 2 more years for that one).

The other day I was looking for pictures of elephants with my 5 year old and we saw some copulating. "Look at that elephant, it is a really big baby getting born out of the mom!" "Yes, son, that is exactly {related to} what we are watching, but let's find a different picture of a baby elephant for your report."

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Mercy! Only you could come upon some frog sex! Scary!
Glad it was you and not me.

Beautiful pictures by the way.

Chelsi said...

Which hike was this? I am trying to recognize it, but I'm having no luck. And, the frogs... Oh, the awkward moments that nature brings us. We had a similar moment with Orangutans at Hogle Zoo a couple of summers ago. That's a little harder to brush over, though. I had to laugh at just how embarrassed my then 8-year-old was.

mariann and Tory said...

That is halarious!! Silly frogs!!

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you stepped out of that one. Zion. Love it there...